- Ziya Aliyev was born in 1981.
- In 1998-2002, he studied for Bachelor’s degree at the Faculty of Chemistry of Baku State University.
- In 2004, he received Master’s degree in “Chemistry of high-molecular compounds” at the Faculty of Chemistry of BSU.
- In 2004-2007 he was enrolled in a full-time postgraduate study on “Inorganic chemistry” at the Faculty of Chemistry of BSU.
- In 2008 he received a degree of Candidate of Chemical Sciences in “Inorganic chemistry”.
- In 2008-2014 he fulfilled the positions of a research fellow, teacher, leading research fellow at BSU.
- In 2013-2014, he passed post-doctoral studies at the University of the Basque Country, Spain.
- In 2014, he worked as a leading research fellow at the Laboratory “Thermodynamics of functional inorganic substances” of ANAS Institute of Catalysis and Inorganic Chemistry.
- In 2015-2016, he was the Head of the Department “International relations, grant projects and innovation” at the same Institute.
- As of 2010, he has been conducting scientific research at Donostia International Physics Center (Spain), the University of the Basque Country (Spain) and Montpellier 2 University (France) for 6 months.
- As of December 2016, he is the Advisor to Rector at Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University.