Student Youth Organization
The history of Student Youth Organizations is related to Decree No. 41 dated February 15, 2005 “On approval of measures plan on improving work with students and youth in the Republic of Azerbaijan” by Ramiz Mehdiyev, the head of Executive Office of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan. In view of the execution of this order, to ensure fulfillment of duties falling upon the Ministry of Education, former Minister of Education Misir Mardanov signed Order No. 89 dated February 28, 2005 “On approval of measures plan on improving work with students and youth in the Republic of Azerbaijan”. That is how the establishment of student-youth organizations started in all public and non-public education institutions depending on the number of students.
The Ministry of Youth, Sports and Tourism (now the Ministry of Youth and Sports) and the Ministry of Education approved “The Regulation of Student Youth Organizations in higher and secondary education institutions” on May 6-7, 2005 in order to regulate activities of Student Youth Organizations. This Regulation was revised and approved by both ministries and was distributed to higher and secondary education institutions in 2007.
The Student Youth Organization of Azerbaijan State Oil and Industry University was created in 2005 as being “The Student Youth Organization of Azerbaijan State Oil Academy”, and after the establishment of “Azerbaijan Student Youth Organizations’ Union” on November 20, 2009, it joined the mentioned structure with Student Youth Organizations of 105 public and private higher education institutions.
The main goal of SYOs is to represent and protect the interests of students, provide their active participation in public and political, cultural, social, economic life of the republic within the frames of implementing the state youth policy.
The primary objectives of the Organization are as follows:
- to take measures on resolving the social problems of students;
- to conduct awareness-raising activities among students;
- to achieve effective organization of students’ leisure time;
- to defend students’ rights;
- to ensure the participation of talented and creative students in competitions, olympiads, exhibitions, festivals within the country and abroad;
- to carry out prophylactic measures among young people against drug addiction, alcoholism, crime, obscenity and other negative habits;
- to organize the participation of students in competitions, seminars, festivals, forums, assemblies, exhibitions, actions, roundtables, scientific conferences, training courses, public propaganda campaigns, discussion clubs, symposia, meetings with prominent persons;
- to publish newspapers and brochures in order to inform the public about events related to students and youth, including the ones taking place in the public and political, socio-economic and cultural life of the republic;
- to organize extracurricular activities, studios, clubs, courses, services to ensure students’ individual interests and tendencies, intellectual development;
- to raise corresponding issues at the Academic Board in order to study the problems of students and adopt relevant decisions. Aware the leadership of higher and secondary education institutions of positive resolution of occurred problems and issues;
- to obtain information from relevant departments and faculties about the number of enrollees, their class attendance, discipline and dormitory provision;
- to realize other duties not prohibited by legislation.